Rettssak mot oljeselskap

Started by PetterT, 19.07.2017, 23:50:40

Previous topic - Next topic

PetterT

California Counties Use Big Tobacco Lawsuit Tactics to Go After Big Oil
https://wattsupwiththat.com/2017/07/19/california-counties-use-big-tobacco-lawsuit-tactics-to-go-after-big-oil/

LOS ANGELES (CN) â?? In a legal assault similar to the one that won multibillion-dollar awards from Big Tobacco, two Bay Area counties and a coastal city blamed Chevron, ExxonMobil and three dozen other oil, gas and coal companies for climate change and rising sea levels that threaten communities on the California coast.

Statoil, som gjerne vil fremstille seg som grønt, inkludert.
Hvordan skal de kunne forsvare seg når de servilt har vært etterplaprere av klimahysterikerne?
Følgmed, kjøp tonnevis med popkorn, for dette blir skikkelig advokatmat.
Det er tanken som teller :-)

PetterT

Den MILJ�bevisste klimarealisten Tony Heller ønsker å bli vitne i rettssakene:

A Wonderful Opportunity To Put This Scam Down
Posted on July 19, 2017 by tonyheller
Two counties by the San Francisco Bay and San Diego County are suing â??Big Oilâ? over rising sea levels.
https://realclimatescience.com/2017/07/a-wonderful-opportunity-to-put-this-scam-down/

Apparently no one told these left-wing morons that sea level isnâ??t rising in the San Francisco Bay.

Please put me on the witness stand. I will have the plaintiffs crying for mercy in about five minutes. King Canute must be rolling in his grave at the stupidity on display by Democrats.

PetterT

A California Judge May Have Just Sunk All Those Climate Lawsuits Against Energy Companies
Date: 01/03/18
https://www.thegwpf.com/a-california-judge-may-have-just-sunk-all-those-climate-lawsuits-against-energy-companies/

Daily Caller
A California district court ruled Wednesday that two lawsuits to hold energy companies responsible for weather affected by climate change are more appropriate for federal court.
Judge William Alsup sent lawsuits from San Fransisco and Oakland into federal court, stating that the issue at hand was outside the stateâ??s prevue. The move, sought by defendant fossil fuel companies, may spell disaster for the plaintiffs who argued the lawsuits should be judged under California common law.
â??The scope of the worldwide predicament demands the most comprehensive view available, which in our American court system means our federal courts and our federal common law,â? the ruling states, according to a Manufacturers Accountability Project (MAP) press release. â??A patchwork of 50 different answers to the same fundamental global issue would be unworkable.â?
The venue of three other lawsuits against energy companies are currently being considered by California District Court Judge Vince Chhabria. No indication of when Chhabriaâ??s ruling should be expected has been given. Defendant companies have indicated they will appeal a decision that places the lawsuits in state court, however, according to Climate Liability News.
MAP, an industry initiative to uncover ties between environmental activists, lawyers and public and political figures against fossil fuels, said Alsupâ??s ruling â??is a significant setbackâ? to the plaintiffs and a sign that the lawsuits are â??a legal dead end.â?
â??Precedent shows that similar cases heard in federal court have been unsuccessful for plaintiffs looking to pin the global challenge of climate change on manufacturers,â? MAP Executive Director Lindsey de la Torre said in a statement.

PetterT

Happer, Koonin & Lindzen har sendt retten en utredning om hva "saken" dreier seg om; om oljeselskap er ansvarlige for global oppvarming:

ADMINISTRATIVE MOTION OF WILLIAM HAPPER, STEVEN E. KOONIN, AND RICHARD S. LINDZEN FOR LEAVE TO SUBMIT PRESENTATION IN RESPONSE TO THE COURTâ??S TUTORIAL QUESTIONS
http://1ggye33lc4653z56mp34pl6t.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/Tutorial-Professor-Presentation.pdf

Section I: Climate science overview

Our overview of climate science is framed through four statements:
1. The climate is always changing; changes like those of the past half-century are common in the geologic record, driven by powerful natural phenomena 
2. Human influences on the climate are a small (1%) perturbation to natural energy flows
3. It is not possible to tell how much of the modest recent warming can be ascribed to human influences 
4. There have been no detrimental changes observed in the most salient climate variables and todayâ??s projections of future changes are highly uncertain

Ingen grunn til å dømme oljeselskapene!

stjakobs

I følge Anthony Watts: "In a rare event, sanity prevails in California â?? Climate skeptics rule, alarmists drool. Federal Judge Dismisses Claim Of â??Big-Oilâ? Conspiracy To Suppress Global Warming Science."

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2018/03/21/boom-federal-judge-dismisses-claim-of-a-conspiracy-to-suppress-global-warming-science/

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.

Emeritus

Hurraguttene i Klimarealistene greier jo aldri å gjengi noe som helst riktig.

Det som er tema i denne som i mange tilsvarende saker er om det er domstolene eller politikerne som til slutt skal ta avgjørelsene. Og som jeg har nevnt tidligere er dette etter mitt syn et politisk spørsmål. Når det gjelder erstatning for de skader brenning av fossilt brennstoff kan påføre klimaet/miljøet, må dette veies opp mot fordelene ved den energi dette har levert til samfunnet. Det er altså ikke sammenlignbart med tobakk som både er vanedannende og som ikke har noen nevneverdig positive effekter.

Når det gjelder det vitenskapelige grunnlaget limer jeg inn dette som jeg fant på WUWT;

Quoteâ??Our climate is changing, itâ??s changing very rapidly, and itâ??s happening now,â? Wuebbles said. â??About 10 times faster than any other changes weâ??ve seen since the end of the last ice age.â?

While Alsup pointed out that Chevronâ??s attorney and the experts speaking for the plaintiffs largely agreed, Wentz said the oil companiesâ?? attorney, Theodore J. Boutrous Jr., placed emphasis on the uncertainty of climate science.

og dette;

â??Itâ??s time for these oil companies to acknowledge what theyâ??ve tried to hide from the public for years. Our planet is warming, and the scientific consensus is clear,â? Herrera said in a statement.
He added, â??What we saw today was one oil company begrudgingly accepting the scientific consensus while trying to overemphasize the extent of scientific uncertainty.â?

Det viser seg altså at Klimarealistene et al. endog er uenige med de saksøkte oljeselskapene som erklærer seg generelt enig med klimavitenskapen, selv om oljeselskapene fremhever at usikkerheten er stor. Dette er det samme vitenskapelige standpunkt den norske stat har inntatt i det søksmålet som nylig ble avgjort i 1. instans i Oslo Tingrett og som miljøorganisasjonene nå forsøker å få tatt direkte inn for Høyesterett, altså å hoppe over lagmannsretten, noe Tvisteloven gir en viss adgang til.