Nigel Calder er død

Started by translator, 09.08.2014, 15:33:42

Previous topic - Next topic

translator

Dette er en trist melding. Nigel Calder, mangeårig britisk vitenskapsjournalist og redaktør, forfatter av en rekke bøker, døde 25. juni i år.

QuoteHe was editor of New Scientist magazine in its early days, and pioneered the popularisation of science through television documentaries. He is survived by his wife, Liz, and their five children and seven grandchildren.

Nigel Calder was born in London on 2 December 1931. He was educated at Merchant Taylorsâ?? School and, after National Service, the University of Cambridge. He became editor of New Scientist in 1962, and later left to write flagship science documentaries for BBC Television. The first, in 1969, was Violent Universe, in which he wrote: â??We live in a relatively peaceful suburb of a quiet galaxy of stars, while all around us, far away in space, events of unimaginable violence occur.â? The Wall Street Journal review read: â??It outstrips all kinds of fictional adventure. It is hard to conceive of a more exciting book.â?

He went on to interpret genetics in The Life Game, climate science in The Weather Machine and relativity in Einsteinâ??s Universe. He was awarded the Unesco Kalinga Prize for the Popularization of Modern Science in 1972.

Restless Earth provided the first proper explanation for lay people of plate tectonics. He wrote: â??All geology and all life are a continual re-ordering of the same atomic ingredients, battened down by gravity on a small planet of an undistinguished star.â?

Nigel Calder was sceptical of the consensus on global warming. He said:

â??Science and politics do not mix except in nasty emulsions that can send geneticists to the gulag or blow up the worldâ?.

He championed the work of the Danish physicist, Henrik Svensmark, in The Manic Sun: Weather Theories Confounded and The Chilling Stars.
http://www.thegwpf.org/nigel-calder-1931-2014/

"Media har sluttet å granske makthaverne på vegne av innbyggerne.
I stedet har de begynt å granske innbyggerne på vegne av makthaverne"
---------Helena Edlund

translator

På Calders hjemmeside, Calder's Updates, fremgår det at han var i gang med en ny bok om Svensmarks arbeider.

QuoteUntil today, this blog has been largely idle since 2012, when Lizzie had a stroke and I became her full-time carer. Apart from dealing with comments and warding off spam, Iâ??ve added nothing since a post in April 2012 about Henrik Svensmarkâ??s paper on supernovae and life. By the way, Lizzie did explanatory diagrams for that post.

Then I started writing a book based on Henrikâ??s paper, to be called Supernova! But lack of time has prevented me from finishing it, even though Lizzie is now much better.

So Iâ??m going to start a new part of the blog, Would-be Books, containing what parts of the book already written, chapter by chapter as new posts. The plural comes about because, when Supernova!was finished, I meant to write another book called The Physics of Love. Now I hope to add at least an outline of that book too. Weâ??ll see, anyway. Watch this space.

http://calderup.wordpress.com/
"Media har sluttet å granske makthaverne på vegne av innbyggerne.
I stedet har de begynt å granske innbyggerne på vegne av makthaverne"
---------Helena Edlund