Arktis og Antarktis - grafer for Asbjørnsen & Moes samlede

Started by Telehiv, 22.03.2020, 21:00:14

Previous topic - Next topic

Telehiv

Willis Eschenbach har tatt en nærmere titt på hvordan den iskrympingskåte gruppen IMBIE (ja, det høres nesten ut som en forkortelse for imbesil) framstiller isutviklingen i Arktis og Antarktis - og finner at grafer er ikke bare grafer.... 

Eschenbachs nærmere gransking var basert på de skremmende oppslagene han oppdaget fra flere representanter for the usual suspects:

"Today I saw some scary headlines. I post them up along with snippets of the stories. First, from the BBC:

Greenland and Antarctica ice loss accelerating
Earth's great ice sheets, Greenland and Antarctica, are now losing mass six times faster than they were in the 1990s thanks to warming conditions.
"That's not a good news story," said Prof Andrew Shepherd from the University of Leeds in the UK.

Next, from the NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL)

Greenland, Antarctica Melting Six Times Faster Than in the 1990s
The two regions have lost 6.4 trillion tons of ice in three decades; unabated, this rate of melting could cause flooding that affects hundreds of millions of people by 2100.

Finally, from LiveScience:

Ice loss in Antarctica and Greenland increased sixfold in the last 30 years
The rapid ice loss puts the world right on track for the 'worst case' climate scenario.

Hmmm, sez I, the dreaded "worst-case" climate scenario ... so I went to find the data."

Og det ble interessante funn for den godeste Eschenbach.
Slik fikk han innledningsvis servert en grafisk fremstilling av "cumulative ice loss for Antarctica-1992-2017":

Når han selv fikk fatt i dataene og plottet dem inn i forhold til de faktiske ismasser det faktisk er snakk om, da ble dette derimot seende slik ut:

Og da han satte sammen alle dataene for Arktis og Antarktis kombinert, ble det seende slik ut: 

Eschenbach kommenterer dette slik:

"In 2011, it started going the other way. The great ice caps were losing more and more ice each year from 1992 to 2011. By 2011 they were losing about fifty gigatonnes of ice each month.
In that year, something changed. Since 2011, Antarctica and Greenland have recovered to where the loss is less than half of the maximum loss of fifty gigatonnes per month. Seems to me that things are getting colder, not warmer as all the headlines are shouting. Most recently the loss is only on the order of twenty gigatonnes per month.
And why is that? Why is the rate changing? Why is even the sign of the rate changing, from more ice lost each month to less ice lost each month? And why did that change occur nine years ago, and not seven years or eleven years ago?
Simple answer. We don't know."

Vi kan trolig se fram til mer underholdning på dette området de neste årene.

Link: https://wattsupwiththat.com/2020/03/22/graphing-the-icy-reality/

Telehiv

Arktis: Største havisutbredelse siden 2013

Ekspertene hos US National Snow and Ice Data Center spådde i fjor at vi ville få ny rekordlav havisutbredelse i Arktis denne vinteren. Slik de summarisk gjør hvert år. Slik de ordlegger seg nå, har det tydeligvis smertet dem en del å levere denne redegjørelsen for isutbredelsen pr. 5. mars:

"The 2020 maximum sea ice extent is the eleventh lowest in the 42-year satellite record, but the highest since 2013"

Tja, det er som å sitere rett fra dem som hele veien har holdt seg til forventninger iht. naturlige variasjoner, det. Og så kaldt som det har vært opp i der på senvinteren er det trolig at isen har vokst videre etter 5. mars også. Vi får vente og se om det bekreftes etterhvert.

Link: https://wattsupwiththat.com/2020/03/26/winter-sea-ice-maximum-extent-on-march-5-was-the-highest-since-2013/

Telehiv

Bottenviken?
Ja, Bottenviken regnes inn i det arktiske sjøisbildet, men det er ikke ofte vi diskuterer det området her.
La oss ta en titt på Meteorologiska Institutets ISRAPPORT 26.03.2020

Isläget är i det närmaste oförändrat.

På norra Bottenviken finns 35-70 cm tjock fastis i skärgården. Utanför fastisen finns 20-60 cm tjock kompakt drivis med vallar ungefär till Kemi 1 och Oulu 1. Längre ut 15-40 cm tjock mycket tät drivis med vallar till 7 nautiska mil sydväst om Kemi 1 och ungefär till Holma. Vid iskanten finns en svårforcerat stampvall. Utanför Brahestad hamn öppet vatten.
På södra Bottenviken finns ställvis 10-20 cm tjock is i den inre skärgården. Längs farlederna öppet vatten.
I Kvarken i Vasa skärgård finns 10-20 cm tjock jämn is till Nagelprick. Längre ut öppet vatten.
På norra Bottenhavet är det öppet vatten.

Isbrytarna: Otso, Kontio och Urho assisterar på norra Bottenviken.